The name might make it sound like something for preschoolers, but it’s not. ABC stands for “anything but clothes,” which might make it sound like something from a nudist colony, but it’s not that either. Instead, everyone comes dressed, just not in actual clothes.
5 Different Anything-But-Clothes Party Ideas
Trying to wrap your head around what that looks like? It’s not as weird as it might sound. It can be pretty fun to see all the costumes people come up with. Most costumes repurpose trash, kids’ toys, and other non-clothing-type items. Are you trying to figure out what to wear to impress your friends or perhaps a certain special someone? Here are five great ideas for ABC party costumes for guys.
Seriously, who doesn’t love making things out of duct tape? There are tutorials online for making just about anything with duct tape, clothes included. And since duct tape clothes aren’t clothes, you should be good! Bonus: Head to the store and find some fun colored or patterned duct tape to make your costume with. Racing checkers? Pink Camo? Awesome.
Have you seen those contests where women make entire wedding dresses and veils with toilet paper? Why do women get to have all the fun? Well, this time it’s your turn. Find a way to construct a party outfit entirely out of toilet paper. As a bonus, you won’t have to worry about the bathrooms at the party running out.
Rather than making something boring like a toga out of a bed sheet, twist your old Twister mat up into something you can wear. Make sure to strategically place those colored circles, and remember to incorporate the spinner into your costume in some fashion so that players can try their luck.
Pool Flotation Toy
Remember when you were a kid and those fun, colored inner tubes were the best things in the pool? Revive your old love of those inflatable toys by incorporating your old inner tubes into a costume for grown-up kids. Stack a couple around your middle for a more modest look, or wear the bare (literally) minimum.
Have you got something to say? The classic sandwich board is an excellent way to get your message across, but make sure not to muddy it by including too much else… such as clothes. Just a couple of pieces of cardboard and shoulder straps should do nicely. If you’re not one for broadcasting your messages, you could turn almost any box or shopping bag into a sandwich board.
More anything-but-clothes ideas
Here are some creative “anything but clothes” ideas:
- Duct Tape Dress:
- Create a dress entirely out of colorful duct tape. It’s surprisingly versatile and can be used to craft intricate designs.
- Newspaper Outfit:
- Craft a dress or ensemble using old newspapers. Fold and layer the paper to create a unique and recyclable outfit.
- Plastic Bag Dress:
- Assemble a dress made from colorful plastic bags. Cut and tie the bags together to form a unique and eco-friendly garment.
- Bubble Wrap Costume:
- Wrap yourself in bubble wrap for a playful and tactile outfit. It not only looks interesting but provides a fun sensory experience.
- Playing Card Ensemble:
- Glue or tape playing cards together to create a unique outfit. This works particularly well for dresses or vests.
- Aluminum Foil Attire:
- Fashion clothing out of aluminum foil for a futuristic and metallic look. You can create dresses, accessories, or even a full suit.
- Candy Wrapper Outfit:
- Save up colorful candy wrappers and use them to construct a vibrant and sweet outfit.
- Feathered Attire:
- Gather feathers to make a glamorous and exotic outfit. Attach them to a base layer to create a feathered dress or cape.
- Paper Plate Skirt:
- String together paper plates to form a unique and quirky skirt. Add color or patterns to the plates for extra flair.
- Tulle Tutu:
- Make a tutu using rolls of tulle. This lightweight and voluminous material can be fashioned into skirts, dresses, or accessories.
- Glow Stick Outfit:
- Connect glow sticks to create a glowing and vibrant outfit. This works well for nighttime events and parties.
- Cereal Box Armor:
- Cut and shape empty cereal boxes to create armor-inspired outfits. Paint or decorate them for added effect.
- Balloon Dress:
- Inflate and attach balloons to form a playful and colorful dress. This is a fun and buoyant option for a lighthearted event.
- Ribbon or Streamer Dress:
- Use colorful ribbons or streamers to fashion a flowing and dynamic dress. It adds movement and texture to your outfit.
- Leggings or Top made from CDs:
- Glue or sew old CDs onto a base layer to create reflective and futuristic leggings or a top.
A fun theme is a great way to ensure a successful party, but even more important is to set your party up for success. Please remember to celebrate safely, including going out in groups, drinking responsibly (not driving), keeping an eye on friends, and having a designated driver. Similarly, if you are hosting an ABC party, be sure to secure a noise permit (if applicable), collect keys at the door, and have non-alcoholic beverages available.
No matter what your event, Wright Group Event Services will help you set the stage for success. From stages, tents, and everything that goes in them, we have everything you need. Contact us today to find out how we can help you ensure your event goes off without a hitch.
Featured images license: Royalty Free or iStock source: Kzenon/Shutterstock