Ladders are one of the most important parts of any building. A large number of accidents and injuries take place around ladders and stairways. However, a majority of those accidents and injuries can be avoided with proper safety precautions. Here are a few tips and advice that you can keep in mind when using fixed access ladders Most people take fixed ladders for granted and think they are safer than other types of ladders like step ladders but this is far from the truth.
Choose A Company To Provide Custom Safety Solution For Your Property
There are many safety regulations in place to ensure the complete safety of workers when doing a job on any type of site which requires the use of a ladder. This includes equipping the ladder with fall arrest systems or ladder safety systems. They also require safety gear like anti-skid shoes and harness to be worn by workers when using the ladder. However, no two buildings are the same and each one requires a unique solution. You can hire companies that will provide custom solutions for the safety of your workers when working on ladders.
The right firm will provide you with custom solutions when using fixed access ladders. You must make sure you hire a company that provides quality products like guards and fail-safe equipment. The lives of your workers depend on the quality of the equipment and hence it is best to hire a reputable firm that knows what they are doing.
They should be able to offer a robust safety solution to the whole site when using fixed access ladders. This will save you a lot of trouble and headache as you will not have to constantly worry about your workers when they are working on heights.
Inspections To Be Made When Using Fixed Access Ladders
When using a ladder it is not only about safety precautions. You will also have to do periodic inspections to ensure that the ladder is fail-safes and in the right condition. This includes:
- Checking the ladder before every use.
- Annual inspections to see if the parts are in order and checking for rust or corrosion.
- Keeping a record of the inspections and findings.
- Repair or replace any part immediately if they are found to be defective.
- Report surfaces that are found slippery due to regular oil spills or ice.
- Regularly remove any clutter or equipment that may obstruct the base of the ladder platform.
Besides these safety checks, the workers have to be educated on basic precautions when using fixed access ladders. These precautions include:
- Wait for other worker to ascend or descend the ladder before you start to climb.
- Use safety devices like restrain belts, harness, safety rail etc.
- Always try and maintain a three point contact with the ladder.
- Use anti-skid shoes that are in good condition. The worker must clean his or her shoe of mud or ice before mounting the ladder.
- The worker should place each foot firmly on every rung.
In construction, workers tend to forget about using safety precautions when using ladders. There are a bunch of safety guidelines when it comes to using fixed access ladders. The ladders and safety features have to be modified so that they can meet the safety regulations and also provide complete safety.